Dr. Laura Berman is mourning the tragic death of her son this week and sharing a desperate warning to parents.
The relationship therapist and TV host took to Instagram Monday announcing the overdose of her son, Samuel, who died after getting his hands on unknowingly fatal drugs through Snapchat.
“My beautiful boy is gone. 16 years old. Sheltering at home,” Berman began her emotional Instagram post. “My heart is completely shattered and I am not sure how to keep breathing.”
View this post on Instagram
Berman explained that Sam was contacted by a drug dealer on Snapchat who gave the 16-year-old fentanyl-laced Xanax.
Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid, and the common drug used involved in drug overdose deaths according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIH).
“Experimentation gone bad,” Berman wrote. “He got the drugs delivered to the house.”
Berman noted that Sam was a straight-A student and that she and her husband monitored the teen “so closely.” At the time of his death, he was “getting ready for college” and planning for his future.
“Please watch your kids and WATCH SNAPCHAT especially. That’s how they get them.”
According to its Community Guidelines, Snapchat has a “zero tolerance” policy for using the platform to buy or sell illegal drugs, or conducting other “illegal activities.”
“Our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of Samuel Berman Chapman and we are heartbroken by his passing,” the company said in a statement. “We have no higher priority than keeping Snapchat a safe environment and we will continue to invest in protecting our community.”
Snapchat added that it’s “committed to working together with law enforcement in this case and in all instances where Snapchat is used for illegal purposes.”
Herman shares two other sons with husband Samuel Chapman. Our hearts are with the family during this unimaginable time.