If Your Kids Have Ever Played With a Pool Noodle, Read This

pool noodle safety

As parents, we can’t go around living our lives in fear of every bump and bruise, but we CAN do our duty to spread awareness when our children have an accident or illness that could have been avoided. One mom’s Facebook post after her daughter’s innocent play with a pool noodle led to a life-threatening illness is going viral for just that reason – awareness. Lacey Grace, who wrote the post, wants parents to be aware not so much about the pool noodle, but about water in the lungs can do to a person, even if they SEEM to be ok.

Lacey Grace says that it was ANOTHER parent’s similar article about his child that led her to seek medical treatment for her daughter, and so in that spirit, she wanted to “pay it forward” with awareness, and tell everyone what happened to her daughter Elianna. She says:

I contemplated whether or not this was worth posting, and at the end of the day, I am where I am because of something another Dad posted sometime last year. If I can even help save one child, this is worth it for me.

advanced-ads-inline

pool noodle safety
Lacey Grace, Facebook

“Here it goes … Elianna was playing in the pool with a “pool noodle” on Saturday, and as many many children do every day, she was blowing in one end and blowing water out the other. By 100% freak accident, Elianna put her mouth to blow out at the same time someone blew in the other end, causing the water to shoot directly down her throat. She threw up immediately but didn’t really have any other notable things happen. 30 minutes after the “accident” she was totally fine – normal, playing, eating, etc. The next day, even, she was fine. Come Monday she developed a fever. Kids get fevers, this is normal. I didn’t think much. Tuesday she slept most of the day but still overall looked fine. Sent her to school Wednesday and got a call in the afternoon that her fever was back.

I kept replaying that pool scene in my head and remembered reading a story last year about a Dad in Texas whose son passed away because he went untreated after inhaling a bunch of pool water. I wasn’t going to let that be Elianna.

We went from school to the urgent care, hoping the doctor would say “her lungs sound great, it’s just viral, etc”. We were there about 10 minutes when the doctor said to get her to the nearest ER as soon as possible. Her heart rate was crazy high, her oxygen was low, and her skin was turning purple which suggested chemical infection.

Went to the nearest ER where they did a chest X-ray and showed inflammation and infection caused from pool chemicals.

Two hours later they transferred her by ambulance to an even larger hospital so they could monitor her around the clock and have pediatric specialists keep an eye on her. She began treatment in the ambulance on the way over.

LONG STORY SHORT, Elianna has aspiration pneumonia and is now on oxygen and relying on it to breathe. They’ve tried to remove the tubes and give her a chance to breathe on her own but her levels drop quickly. She’s had her second dose of antibiotic but we haven’t seen much relief yet. Her fevers have continued. Her heart rate has lowered so that is the only good news so far. At least two doctors now have told us “thank God you got her here when you did”. All the major things going wrong are things you would NEVER notice by looking at her.

If your child inhales a bunch of water, and something seems off AT ALL, I encourage you to immediately get help. I wonder if I would have taken her Monday, would she be better off?? And I wonder if I waited longer what would have happened. It’s so scary.

For now, we just pray that the antibiotic takes quickly and her lungs can find a way to get rid of the pool chemicals. They will keep us until she’s fever free for 24 hours, her chest X-ray comes back clear, and she can sleep fully through the night without her oxygen levels dropping so drastically. If she requires more than 3 liters of oxygen we will be transferred to Hopkins All Children’s Hospital. We don’t know how long the road will be but I thank my lucky stars that I read that article of the little boy. I will find that article and write that Dad a letter, I promise you. I would have never taken her to the urgent care without that and God only knows how this would have ended.”

Parents helping parents — that is definitely one POSITIVE side effect of the Internet and social media. Because of one dad sharing his story, Lacey knew to seek treatment when her daughter fell ill. Elianna’s family has set up a Go Fund Me for her medical bills, and this story is shared on that page as well. As summer approaches and water safety becomes more and more important, we hope you’ll share Elianna’s story as well. It could save yet another life.

 


Previous articleThis Mom Lost Two Sons to Opioids On the Same Night
Next articleDon’t Panic: Here’s What’s Worse Than Not Learning to Read in Kindergarten
Jenny Rapson
Jenny Rapson is a follower of Christ, a wife and mom of three from Ohio and a freelance writer and editor. You can find her at her blog, Mommin' It Up, or follow her on Twitter.