My youngest child is almost six now, but I LOVED babywearing him and his older sister, now 10, when they were infants. With my daughter, it was one of the ONLY ways I could keep her calm and contented, and my wrap and sling were lifesavers. I will admit I have definitely unloaded the dishwasher and cooked dinner a few times with a baby strapped to my chest, and I never gave it a second thought, until I saw this Facebook post from mom Molly Landis with a terrifying warning. Sharing this photo of herself, Landis says:
I don’t normally post this kind of stuff or personal information but after sharing this story with close friends I am urged to share this story. On Tuesday I was involved in an accident where my stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball to my face, neck and chest. This caused open wounds and burns to my face and chest. Yes, this is horrible and painful but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am. As a new mom I often wear my sweet 4 week old in my wrap carrier (we know we all love being hands free especially with a needy babe)..on this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby bc for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn’t wearing her while I was in the kitchen. The worst of my burns is to my chest- exactly where her precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier. The point of my message is to pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies! Since this happened I have had so many moms say “omg, I do that all the time” .. we never think it could happen to us and I never thought it would happen to me. So grateful she wasn’t near the explosion.
After I read Landis’ post, I remembered a friend of mine who was babywearing her daughter while walking her dog years ago. She got tangled up in the leash and fell front-first onto the sidewalk – she herself was hurt much worse than the baby, but it could have been bad for her infant as well—they were just lucky!