6. Turn to Him so often that you end up looking at Him all the time! Glance at Him so much, you end up gazing at Him for the rest of your life. –Wendy Speake
7. How do you know if you are feeling an unhealthy guilt versus a righteous conviction? Guilt defeats. Conviction catapults—towards spiritual growth and freedom! –Amber Lia
8. Are you so over-taxed by your multiple tasks that there’s nothing left over for the most important tasks God has for you? –Wendy Speake
(I think I’ll just get a sitter or take the day off the next time the kids are off school. Easier said than done, but I can’t take my over-taxation out on my kids.)
9. Plan right words when their behavior is wrong… so that your behavior remains right. –Wendy Speake
10. Only when we create a safe environment for honesty can we help our kids become truth-tellers. – Amber Lia
Honestly just reading through these again as I write this is SO convicting (moving me toward action! Not guilt!) and helpful at the same time. My children may do wrong and make me angry, but it’s not ok for me to be wrong in my responses to them.
Do you struggle with anger as a mom? I don’t want my kids to be afraid of me or have bad memories of my overreactions. That’s why I’ve made working on this a priority. Which one of these quotes was most helpful to you?
All quotes taken from the book, Triggers: Exchanging Parent’s Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses. If you struggle with anger in your home from the sheer effort of it all, if you find yourself yelling at your children and struggling with shame, I encourage you to order a copy of Triggers, by Wendy Speake and Amber Lia, published by BRU Publications. For more information about Triggers, visit us here.
Now there’s a new Triggers STUDY GUIDE for parents!!
“Triggers: Exchanging Parent’s Angry Reactions for Gentle Biblical Responses examines common parenting issues that cause us to explode inappropriately at our children. Moving beyond simple parenting tips on how to change your child’s behavior, authors Amber Lia and Wendy Speake offer biblical insight and practical tools to equip and encourage you.
Along with the brand new Triggers Study Guide, now available for purchase through Amazon, you’ll go further than ever before in your journey away from anger-filled reactions toward gentle, biblical responses.”