Our words matter. Words spoken today, while we’re still here on earth, or in the past, after we’ve gone, can make an impact. We’ve gathered some Queen Elizabeth quotes to inspire you as you navigate today.
After 70 years on the throne of England and more than 70 years as a mother, Queen Elizabeth II accumulated vast experience as she displayed wisdom, poise, and humor. She reigned over the United Kingdom and Commonwealth areas and led her growing family of four children, eight grandchildren, and 12 great-grandchildren. Surely she had inspirational words to share about leadership, and she kept us all on our toes as she surprised us with her quick wit.
Queen Elizabeth served as the head of state. She didn’t rule England—that role was reserved for the prime minister. But she reigned over England and appointed prime ministers to rule England. Queen Elizabeth also served as the head of the nation—promoting national stability, unity, and pride. As part of her hundreds of annual appearances, Queen Elizabeth gave countless speeches—to troops, to celebrate holidays, and to open parliament at the beginning of each year.
And her words will continue to provide comfort and inspiration for generations to come. Notable and memorable words are often birthed out of hard and trying times. While her life nearly spanned a century, her wisdom and wit are timeless.
Inspirational Queen Elizabeth Quotes
Queen Elizabeth became the head of the monarchy at the young age of 25. She learned quickly what it looked like to accomplish hard things on a daily basis—even without a great deal of training or experience. And she persevered. Queen Elizabeth reigned over England and the Commonwealth for seven decades—and through nearly 200 prime ministers. She shared her wisdom regarding leadership, hardship, and ordinary, everyday life.
1. “We all need to get the balance right between action and reflection. With so many distractions, it is easy to forget to pause and take stock.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
2. “I know of no single formula for success… Some attributes of leadership are universal and are often about finding ways of encouraging people to combine their efforts, their talents, their insights, their enthusiasm and their inspiration to work together.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
3. “Each day is a new beginning, I know that the only way to live my life is to try to do what is right, to take the long view, to give of my best in all that the day brings, and to put my trust in God.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
4. “It has perhaps always been the case that the waging of peace is the hardest form of leadership of all.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
5. “It has been women who have breathed gentleness and care into the hard progress of humankind.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
6. “When life seems hard, the courageous do not lie down and accept defeat; instead, they are all the more determined to struggle for a better future.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
7. “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.” ~Queen Elizabeth II
8. “Cowards falter, but danger is often overcome by those who nobly dare.” ~Queen Elizabeth II