Summer is coming, and soon the water safety posts will be filling up your Facebook feed faster than you can say “vacation.” Of course, water safety is of the UTMOST importance—and that’s part of the reason one mom took to Facebook to warn parents of a danger that many don’t even know is possible: secondary drowning.
In August 2015, Darcy McQueeney’s 3.5-year-old son jumped into a pool and was immediately pulled out by the 2 sober adults watching him. He coughed up a TON of water, but seemed fine. However…he wasn’t. McQueeney says that if she hadn’t known to watch for secondary drowning, which can occur anytime water is inhaled (even in the bathtub), her son might not have made it. She says in her Facebook post:
Please take a good look at this photo.